Long Weekend Props
Special thanks to the following people for making my long weekend not suck:
- The Boston Celtics, and especially Ray Allen (second prettiest face in the NBA, behind only Rajon Rondo), for snatching victory from the jaws of defeat against the New York Knicks in last night’s playoff opener. Apparently the team that wins game one in an NBA playoff series goes on to win the series 78% of the time.
- The Boston Red Sox, for winning three of four games against the Toronto Blue Jays. Particular recognition to Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, and Daisuke Matsuzaka’s good twin for turning in outstanding pitching performances, and to former Sox pitching coach and current Jays manager John Farrell for putting up pitchers who did significantly worse.
- The Boston Bruins, for pulling themselves together for a must-win tonight against the Canadiens. Let’s not try to atone for last year’s collapse against Philadelphia by setting up a monumental comeback, OK? Tip of the hat to Tim Thomas for 33 saves.
- Maggie and Nadia, the hostesses with the mostesses, for their hospitality and for living a mere two blocks from the Boston Marathon route.
- Gary, Byron, and Jane, for finishing the race with impressive times (3:00:07, 3:40:52, and 3:43:56, respectively). I stand in awe of them and choose not to be bitter that their accomplishment makes me look like a slug in comparison.
On that last note, I have to relate a brief conversation I had while standing on the sidewalk around mile 23:
- Kelly (spotting Byron running by): “BYRON!!!!”
Byron (spotting Kelly and running back for a hug): “Hey!”
Kelly: “Why are you stopping? Don’t stop!”
Byron: “It’s OK, I’m ahead of schedule.”