Enough Stupidity to Go Around
Now that control of Congress has passed to the Democrats, I would like to point out to all those gloom-and-doom Republicans that the world has not come to an end. So let me step back several days to address a story I have followed with vague interest.
A newly elected member of Congress, Keith Ellison (D-MN), announced a couple weeks ago that he wanted to take his oath of office on a Koran instead of a Bible. It’s a great big non-issue one way or the other, since all members of Congress are officially sworn in together, en masse; the individual "swearing in" with the hand on the Bible is essentially a photo-op. It could be done with the same effect (i.e. none) on a Bible, a koran, a comic book, or the breakfast menu from the Congressional dining hall.
That didn’t prevent U.S. Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA) from blowing a blood vessel over Ellison’s plan.
[A] Virginia congressman is warning that "many more Muslims" will be elected demanding to use the Koran unless immigration is tightened.
[ . . . ]
Goode said the United States needs to totally halt illegal immigration and reduce legal immigration.
Mr. Goode is obviously irrational, so I don’t expect him to be swayed by the following factual information:
- The enormous problem of illegal immigration, aside from a small number of terrorists who we know move among us, has nothing to do with Muslims.
- Congressman Ellison isn’t an immigrant. He is a native-born Amerian who converted to Islam.
- Shutting down the borders tomorrow won’t prevent other Americans from converting to Islam or any other religion they’d like to try out.
- Most Americans don’t give a rat’s patootie if Congressman Ellison is a Muslim, as long as he doesn’t try to substitute the U.S. Constitution with draconian sharia laws that ban bacon and shut down churches and make it a crime for a woman to walk around in the middle of the summer in shorts and a tank top.
- Did I mention that the so-called "swearing in" ceremony was a meaningless show?
I would say that Congressman Goode needs to get his priorities straight. It’s clear they are screwed up, given his disproportionate response to Congressman Ellison’s koran swearing when just days later he responded not at all when National Guard troops were attacked at the U.S.-Mexico border.